Wednesday, January 03, 2007

It's All in the Process - Part 2

(I split my previous post up for those that don't like sitting for long periods and reading blogs...so read the first part and come back to this one if need be.)

In Galatians 5:1, Paul says that "it is for freedom that Christ set us free." Now the word "freedom" means we are free within a domain. So, it is correctly interpreted that Christ has set us free so that we would be free to act and live within a domain. We are not free to go off sinning and breaking the laws of God, but, I believe, that each individual in Christ is at a different place in the process of "being conformed to the image of Christ" (Romans 8:29), and are discovering what their limits are in those "gray areas" of life that are not necessarily sin. That is to say, that as each person is led by the Spirit, to do something could be sin for them at one time and not at another based upon where they are in their walk with Christ. The key to understanding this without going off into lazy Christianity is love.

Love requires freedom and what we are lead by love to do for God, God desires for us to do. BUT, as I have experienced, we can do all the "right" things with horribly corrupted motives that make us like the Pharisees of Jesus' day, "clean on the outside, but filthy on the inside". I am convinced that the strength of love we have for God is completely contingent upon how much revelation we have of His love for us. After all, it is "His kindness that leads us to repentance" (Romans 2:4) in the first place and it is "not that we loved God, but He who loved us and sent Christ as a propriation for our sins" (1John 4:10). As we come to love God more, we will freely choose to do away with those things that could distract us from Him. Example...

As those who have read some of my previous posts, God has freed and is currently freeing me of a life driven by Christian rules that hindered my ability to live in a vibrant relationship with God because the rules made my decisions for me and kept me from asking God what He wanted. One rule I had was that watching TV was sin. I wouldn't have come out and said it straight like that, but that is basically where my heart was at...and, boy-howdy, I had my Scriptures to back it up. So, I would rigidly hold this law to myself and harshly judge those Christians who broke it. Of course, there is nothing in Scripture that directly contradicts being able to watch TV, but here's what has happened.

Over this Christmas break, I have watched my fair share of TV. Quite a few hours spent watching football with family and even a couple of movies by myself! As I see my where my heart, mind and spirit go as I place these entertainments before my eyes, I am beginning to understand that it really is in my best interest to steer clear of activities such as these in lengthy doses. So, I am coming around to a very similar conclusion that I once had a law for, but now I am seeing that, for me, as I "pray without ceasing" (1Thessolonians 5:17) and test, examine, reflect, and experience where the domains of my freedom in Christ are, that I can joyfully choose more prayer, bible study, fellowship, time out chatting with people about Jesus. Why? How? Because of the learning that has taken place by experience IN THE PROCESS of walking with Jesus on a daily basis.

Rather than the pride that comes in thinking that I know the right rules and laws for every instance, this learning posture produces the humility needed to be graced by God with His presence and power.

"But He gives a greater grace; Therefore it says, " GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE." James 4:6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home