Reflections on Lessons...
God has been doing some amazing things in me and around me by His grace and as I look back upon all that He has done in the past 6 months, I am in awe. I have found it profitable to reflect on my life so that I don't miss something that God was trying to show me. Moments add up to years all too quickly and God is all too worthy for us to miss something He has seen worthwhile to teach us.
My Relationship with God - As I am coming out of a guilt-driven lifestyle into a love-driven one the emphasis God has place on my life has been defining who I am by who He says I am, not by what I do or don't do. As I have testified to God's work in this area of my life, God has made me aware that both the lost and the saved normally, by nature, define themselves by what they do and how well they do it. Thus, they do those things they know how to do well a lot of the time because it is where they find value for themselves. This is the sin of idolatry because they (and I before this revelation) allow themselves or others watching them to define who they are rather than the God who made them. Wherever we receive our value from is our god and this is why Jesus told us that we have to hate everyone, even our own lives (ourselves and everything we believe we are good at), in comparison to our great love for Him in order to be His disciple. (Luke 14:26) God will have no rivals and this is because He is worthy and for our good. Thus, this practically plays out by us spending more time with God in prayer, bible study, worship, and fellowship (i.e. church) because He, alone, has the power to speak ultimate and infinite value into our spirits as His children. I encourage everyone to spend time with God and ask Him to reveal any idols of activity by which you may define yourself, give them to Jesus and forsake them, and ask Him to replace all the value you received from them with His presence.
For me, at the end of the day, the best thing I can DO is simply to BE with God.
Evangelism - Many who read this blog have known me as Ryan Wayson, the guy who witnesses to everything that moves. That is not who I am any longer. Actually, nowadays, I do not "go witnessing", but instead, am simply a witness as I rest in Christ. Jesus never told us to "go witnessing" but to be His witnesses. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against going out with with express intent of sharing the gospel with people. In fact this is a great way to step out of our comfort zones into dependency on God as you look to make being a witness part of your lifestyle. God can tear down demonic fears associated with sharing the gospel through this...so I am a fan IF it is led of the Spirit and not driven by performance; and that is a heart/motivation issue. For me now, I simply interact with others and tell them what I have seen and heard in my experience with God, trusting God to draw the people Himself who come in touch with Him through me.
Practically speaking, my prayer as I enter a Wal-Mart or mall is, "Father, please let me see what you are doing and make me sensitive to Your Spirit to pray and speak." If I have a casual conversation with someone, I normally ask if Nicole and I can pray for them somehow and give them a tract with my info on it so they can get in touch for more prayer and encouragment. Sometimes, though, I do feel the tugging of the Spirit to just go straight up to someone and ask for prayer. I am not limited to a certain "evangelism method" but simply to God's Word and leading of the Spirit. Perhaps the largest difference in me is my heart in witnessing. Whereas before, I was a slave to a burden of guilt and I would try to cleanse my conscience by using someone else's soul to wipe it off as I witnessed to them, now I simply go where the joy leads.
"For you will go out with joy, and be led forth with peace; The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, And all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
Isaiah 55:12
"For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
Matthew 11:30
So, whenever I go out, I know the Lord is leading me to do something when He abundantly supplies the joy as my strength to make every burden light, even if it is as large as a whole people group of souls. God is on no shortage of joy, so I simply ask and receive it from Him. It is so freeing and wonderful to experience the joy and love of the Lord as my motivation for speaking and praying. If the joy of the Lord is in me to witness to someone, I obey. If it is to spend time with my wife watching a movie or something, I obey. If it is to disciple some brothers, I obey. If it is to just sit back and rest with Him in His word, I obey. Like a car runs off of gas, life is meant to run off the grace of joy and nothing less.
The product of these truths in my life has been a more fruitful marriage, ministry and overall life. Praise be to God that He reveals to us His desires and gives us the grace (free power) to walk them out in joy!
1 Comments:
Good stuff brother. Really refreshing to read!
Post a Comment
<< Home