Confrontational to relational to...
Many prayers and discussions have taken place recently in my life that have caused me to wonder how I am to pursue the lost and dying world that surrounds us. Historically, I have come against anyone that disagreed with my confrontational approach to evangelism and seeking and saving that which was lost with the Lord. I’m not so sure I’d be so vigilant nowadays, but I don’t want to be without purpose either. First of all, let me get this out there. The question is NOT whether or not we reach out to save the people, because the Scriptures make it abundantly clear that our responsibility is to be the hands of the Lord to reach out and save. A selection:
Proverbs 24:11-12 –
“Rescue those who are being taken away to death;
hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter.
If you say, "Behold, we did not know this,"
does not he who weighs the heart perceive it?
Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it,
and will he not repay man according to his work?”
Jude 23 – “…save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.”
For this reason, Charles Spurgeon was able to say, “Have you no desire for others to be saved? Then you yourself are not saved. Be sure of that.” To a great extent, I think this is truly the case. To not care to the point of wanting to take action about the people not in a relationship with their Maker and thus “objects of His wrath” because of their sins is probably an evidence that the Spirit of God is not Lord of your heart.
That being said, the discussion that I wish to have is concerned with the HOW we are to bear witness to God’s goodness. Are there any rules to doing this? What method is most effective? Is it obnoxious to be confrontational? Is it lazy to be relational? Is either one “uncaring”? My next post or 2 will be concerned with these questions and what I feel the Lord is showing me.
1 Comments:
I think confrontational turns away more people than it gathers. If a person feels you're being obnoxious, I think they are MUCH more likely to close their ears and therefore their hearts to the message you are trying to share. I think a better approach is to "lead by example" and when asked how you came to be such a caring, spiritual person, you have the perfect opportunity to share your beliefs and the Word.
Post a Comment
<< Home